Generic Name and Formulations:
Amphotericin B lipid complex 5mg/mL; susp for IV infusion after dilution; preservative-free.
Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for ABELCET:
Invasive fungal infections in patients who are refractory to, or intolerant of, conventional amphotericin B therapy.
Adults and Children:
5mg/kg daily as a single IV infusion, at a rate of 2.5mg/kg per hour. Renal impairment: reduce dose.
Be fully familiar with the use of this product. Administer under close supervision; cardiopulmonary resuscitation facilities should be available. Monitor CBC, serum creatinine, liver function, serum electrolytes (esp. magnesium and potassium). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Monitor other drugs; see literature. Caution with antineoplastics, corticosteroids, ACTH, cyclosporine, digitalis glycosides, flucytosine, imidazoles, nephrotoxic drugs, skeletal muscle relaxants, zidovudine. Concurrent leukocyte transfusion: not recommended.
Infusion reactions (1–2 hrs post-infusion, e.g., transient chills/fever, rarely: bronchospasm, hypotension, arrhythmias, shock), nephrotoxicity, hepatotoxicity, anaphylaxis, respiratory/cardiac/neurological disorders, malaise, tinnitus, visual impairment, hearing loss, diarrhea; others: see literature.
Single-use vials (50mg, 100mg)—1 (w. filter needle)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders