A five question screening tool focusing on middle-age educational and occupational attainment helps predict dementia risk.
Currently FDA-approved for treating pseudo bulbar affect, the drug also benefits agitation.
The first randomized-controlled clinical trials are underway to assess if early access to amyloid imaging PET scan results can inform treatment decisions for mild cognitive impairment and dementia.
RVT-101 improved cognition and function when combined with donepezil in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease.
Investigators identified a possible disease-modifying effect of solanezumab as an early treatment for Alzheimer's disease, but the benefit in clinical practice remains unclear.
Among those with mild cognitive impairment, women's cognitive abilities deteriorated twice as quickly as men.
Better balance needed between cure, prevention, and care for patients with dementia.
Early academic performance may be better indicator of cognitive reserve than formal education, occupational complexity.
Burden of cognitive impairment may be greater in this vulnerable population, who require vigilance and constant self-care.
In patients with mild cognitive impairment, a holistic, multidisciplinary intervention improved attention, concentration, and problem solving.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders