A five question screening tool focusing on middle-age educational and occupational attainment helps predict dementia risk.
Currently FDA-approved for treating pseudo bulbar affect, the drug also benefits agitation.
The first randomized-controlled clinical trials are underway to assess if early access to amyloid imaging PET scan results can inform treatment decisions for mild cognitive impairment and dementia.
RVT-101 improved cognition and function when combined with donepezil in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease.
Investigators identified a possible disease-modifying effect of solanezumab as an early treatment for Alzheimer's disease, but the benefit in clinical practice remains unclear.
Among those with mild cognitive impairment, women's cognitive abilities deteriorated twice as quickly as men.
Better balance needed between cure, prevention, and care for patients with dementia.
Early academic performance may be better indicator of cognitive reserve than formal education, occupational complexity.
Burden of cognitive impairment may be greater in this vulnerable population, who require vigilance and constant self-care.
In patients with mild cognitive impairment, a holistic, multidisciplinary intervention improved attention, concentration, and problem solving.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age