For many physicians, working during the holiday season is simply part of the job.
Studies of the use of ketamine for depression revealed that the agent induces a rapid reduction in depressive symptoms and suicidal ideation in most patients.
The European Medicine Agency has reported that there may be an association between long-term lithium use and reports of both renal tumors and thyroid cancer.
Ketamine, originally approved by the FDA in 1970 as an anesthetic, is increasingly being recognized as an option in treatment-resistant depression.
Psychosis, or a psychotic episode, is characterized by a distorted perception of reality that is often exacerbated by hallucinations or delusions.
Drunkorexia is a term referring to limiting food intake prior to alcohol consumption, which may lead to eating disorders in college students.
Technological Breakthroughs in Medicine Move Physician-Patient Interactions From The Computer Screen Back to the Exam Room
While technological breakthroughs have had positive effects in the corporate world, they have led to exacerbated physician burnout in the medical field.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Etiology of Schizophrenia: Strong Association With Certain Rare Copy Number Variants
- Long-Term Lithium Use: More Evidence Needed to Associate With Cancer Risk
- FDA to Review Lumateperone for Treatment of Schizophrenia
- Revised Children's Anxiety and Depression Scales Reliable Measurement Tool for Adults
- AMA Survey Collects Advice for Physicians Approaching Retirement
- Cannabis Use, Cannabis Use Disorder Linked to Psychotic, Depressive Symptoms
- Abstinence From Regular Cannabis Use Improves Memory Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- Group Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Is Effective Treatment for Adolescent Anxiety
- Association Between Opioid and Benzodiazepine Misuse and Suicidal Ideation
- The Intersection of Eating and Alcohol Disorders: Detecting and Managing "Drunkorexia"
- Cognition, Depression, and Limited Functioning Linked in Middle Age
- Coping With Challenges When Working the Holidays
- Lithium Preferred Method of Maintenance Monotherapy in Older Adults With Bipolar Disorder
- Hypobetalipoproteinemia Associated With Aggression and Schizophrenia
- AMA Code of Medical Ethics Guides Physicians in Fighting Harmful Online Health Information