Generic Name and Formulations:
Varicella zoster vaccine, live, attenuated; minimum of 19,400 PFU/0.65mL dose; pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; contains porcine gelatin, neomycin and bovine serum (trace); preservative-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for ZOSTAVAX:
Prevention of herpes zoster (shingles) in adults ≥50 years of age.
Limitations Of use:
Not for treating zoster or postherpetic neuralgia. Not for preventing primary varicella infection.
<50yrs: not recommended. ≥50yrs: one 0.65mL dose by SC inj once in upper arm. Administer immediately upon reconstitution.
Immunodeficiency (eg, HIV, leukemia, lymphoma, bone marrow or lymphatic cancer, immunosuppressive therapy). Pregnancy (during and 3 months after vaccination).
Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Consider deferral in acute illness or acute untreated tuberculosis. May not protect 100% of recipients. Virus transmission may occur between recipients and susceptible contacts. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Immunosuppressants may cause disseminated disease. Consider administration of Zostavax and Pneumovax 23 vaccines separated by ≥4 weeks. Concomitant inactivated influenza vaccines: see full labeling.
Inj site reactions (eg, erythema, pain, swelling, pruritus), headache; cardiovascular events.
To report adverse events, contact VAERS at (800) 822-7967.
Single-dose vials—1, 10 (w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders