Generic Name and Formulations:
Somatropin (rDNA origin) 8.8mg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; diluent contains benzyl alcohol.
EMD Serono, Inc.
Indications for ZORBTIVE:
Short bowel syndrome in conjunction with nutritional support (see full labeling).
Rotate inj site. Initially 0.1mg/kg SC inj once daily; max 8mg/day. Treat for 4 weeks. If fluid retention or arthralgia occurs; reduce dose by 50%. Discontinue therapy for up to 5 days if severe toxicities occur; if resolved, resume at 50% of original dose; if unresolved within 5 days or recurs, discontinue permanently.
Active malignancy. Acute critical illness due to complications following open heart or abdominal surgery, multiple accidental trauma, or acute respiratory failure. Active proliferative or severe non-proliferative diabetic retinopathy.
Monitor for potential malignant changes of preexisting nevi. Increased mortality in those with acute critical illness (see Contraindications). Impaired glucose tolerance/diabetes mellitus: monitor blood glucose. Hypoadrenalism: monitor serum cortisol levels. Evaluate thyroid function in those with hypopituitarism before starting and after 4 weeks treatment; correct thyroid function, if needed. Perform funduscopic evaluation for intracranial hypertension at initiation; discontinue if papilledema occurs. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
May antagonize glucocorticoids. Concomitant antidiabetic treatment may need to be adjusted.
Growth hormone (GH).
Edema (eg, facial, peripheral), arthralgia, inj site pain, flatulence, abdominal pain, vomiting, pain, nausea; hypersensitivity reactions, tissue turgor (swelling in hands/feet), musculoskeletal discomfort, carpal tunnel syndrome (reduce dose or discontinue if unresolved), acute pancreatitis.
Vials—1 (w. diluent)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Content, Quality Issues for Both Paper-Based and Electronic Health Records