Generic Name and Formulations:
Zolpidem tartrate 5mg per metered actuation (one spray) in 100microliter; oral solution spray; cherry-flavor.
Magna Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for ZOLPIMIST:
Short-term treatment of insomnia characterized by difficulties with sleep initiation.
Individualize. Give once daily immediately before bedtime. 10mg (two actuations). Max 10mg/day. Elderly, debilitated, or hepatic impaired: 5mg (one actuation); monitor closely. Concomitant CNS depressants: use downward dose adjustments. Effects delayed if used with or immediately after a meal.
Evaluate for co-morbid diagnoses (eg, physical and/or psychiatric disorders) prior to treatment. Reevaluate if insomnia persists after 7–10 days of use. Monitor for new onset behavioral changes, worsening of depression, or suicidal thinking. Hepatic impairment. Conditions that affect metabolism or hemodynamic response. Compromised respiratory function. Sleep apnea. Myasthenia gravis. Drug abusers. Write ℞ for smallest practical amount. Withdraw gradually. Debilitated. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Additive effects with concomitant other CNS depressants (eg, imipramine, chlorpromazine), or alcohol (avoid); reduce dose. Potentiated by potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole); reduce zolpidem dose. Antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin).
Drowsiness, dizziness, diarrhea, drugged feeling, headache; abnormal thinking, behavioral changes, complex behaviors (eg, sleep-driving), hallucinations, amnesia, anxiety, other neuropsychiatric symptoms; anaphylaxis, angioedema.
Pump (60 metered actuations)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age