ZOLADEX 3-MONTH 10.8mg Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Goserelin (as acetate) 10.8mg; SC implant.
Indications for ZOLADEX 3-MONTH 10.8mg:
Palliative treatment of advanced prostate carcinoma. In combination with flutamide for management of locally confined Stage T2b-T4 (Stage B2-C) prostate carcinoma.
Implant SC into anterior abdominal wall. Prostate cancer: one 3.6mg implant every 28 days or one 10.8mg implant every 12 weeks. Stage B2-C prostatic carcinoma (in combination with flutamide): Treat 8 weeks prior to and during radiotherapy. Initially one 3.6mg implant, followed in 28 days by one 10.8mg implant; or may use one 3.6mg implant every 28 days (two before and two during radiotherapy).
Increased risk of diabetes, MI, sudden cardiac death, stroke; monitor blood glucose and for signs/symptoms of CVD during therapy. Risk of ureteral obstruction or spinal cord compression; monitor during 1st month of therapy. Risk factors for decreased bone mineral density (eg, chronic alcohol, tobacco, anticonvulsants, corticosteroids). Risk of QT prolongation in congenital long QT syndrome, CHF, electrolyte abnormalities; monitor EKG and correct electrolyte abnormalities if needed. Risk of inj site injury in patients with low BMI and/or receiving full dose anticoagulation. Obesity; monitor testosterone if no clinical response. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant drugs known to prolong the QT interval. May affect tests of pituitary-gonadotropic and gonadal functions.
Decreased testosterone levels (eg, hot flashes, sexual dysfunction, decreased erections, gynecomastia), lower urinary tract symptoms, transient worsening of symptoms (eg, bone pain), tumor flare, diarrhea, nausea, edema, malaise, hyperglycemia, hypercalcemia, decreased bone mineral density, QT prolongation.
Implant (in syringe)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children