Generic Name and Formulations:
Azithromycin (as dihydrate) 2g; for ext-rel oral susp after reconstitution; cherry-banana flavor; contains 148mg Na+/bottle.
Indications for ZMAX:
Mild-to-moderate susceptible acute bacterial sinusitis in adults. Community-acquired pneumonia in adults and children ≥6mos old.
Adults and Children:
Take on an empty stomach. Sinusitis: 2g once. CAP: <6mos: not established. ≥6mos: <34kg: 60mg/kg (27mg/lb) once; ≥34kg: 2g once. If vomiting occurs within 1 hour post-dose or delayed gastric emptying, consider alternative therapy.
Macrolide or ketolide related allergy. History of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction with prior use.
Renal impairment (esp. GFR <10mL/min). Discontinue if signs/symptoms of hepatitis occur. Myasthenia gravis. History of QT prolongation or proarrhythmic conditions. Allergic symptoms may recur after initial successful symptomatic treatment. Neonates: possible infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Possible QT prolongation with concomitant Class 1A (quinidine, procainamide) or Class III (dofetilide, amiodarone, sotalol) antiarrhythmics, or others known to prolong the QT interval; avoid. Potentiated by nelfinavir. Monitor digoxin, cyclosporine, ergots, hexobarbital, phenytoin, warfarin.
Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, headache; rare: allergy (eg, angioedema, AGEP, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, DRESS), lab abnormalities; hepatotoxicity, torsades de pointes (esp. elderly), C. difficile-associated diarrhea (evaluate if occurs).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition