Generic Name and Formulations:
Azithromycin (as dihydrate) 2g; for ext-rel oral susp after reconstitution; cherry-banana flavor; contains 148mg Na+/bottle.
Indications for ZMAX:
Mild-to-moderate susceptible acute bacterial sinusitis in adults. Community-acquired pneumonia in adults and children ≥6mos old.
Adults and Children:
Take on an empty stomach. Sinusitis: 2g once. CAP: <6mos: not established. ≥6mos: <34kg: 60mg/kg (27mg/lb) once; ≥34kg: 2g once. If vomiting occurs within 1 hour post-dose or delayed gastric emptying, consider alternative therapy.
Macrolide or ketolide related allergy. History of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction with prior use.
Renal impairment (esp. GFR <10mL/min). Discontinue if signs/symptoms of hepatitis occur. Myasthenia gravis. History of QT prolongation or proarrhythmic conditions. Allergic symptoms may recur after initial successful symptomatic treatment. Neonates: possible infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Possible QT prolongation with concomitant Class 1A (quinidine, procainamide) or Class III (dofetilide, amiodarone, sotalol) antiarrhythmics, or others known to prolong the QT interval; avoid. Potentiated by nelfinavir. Monitor digoxin, cyclosporine, ergots, hexobarbital, phenytoin, warfarin.
Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, headache; rare: allergy (eg, angioedema, AGEP, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, DRESS), lab abnormalities; hepatotoxicity, torsades de pointes (esp. elderly), C. difficile-associated diarrhea (evaluate if occurs).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses