ZITHROMAX INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Azithromycin 500mg/vial; for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution.
Indications for ZITHROMAX INJECTION:
Susceptible infections including community-acquired pneumonia, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID).
Give by IV infusion 1mg/mL over 3hrs or 2mg/mL over 1hr. ≥16yrs: Pneumonia: 500mg once daily for at least 2 days, switch to 500mg orally once daily, for a total of 7–10 days combined therapy. PID: 500mg once daily for 1–2 days, switch to 250mg orally once daily for a total of 7 days combined therapy.
<16yrs: not established.
Ketolide allergy. History of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction associated with prior use.
Pneumonia: oral treatment is for mild, community-acquired cases suitable for outpatient therapy only. Discontinue if signs/symptoms of hepatitis occur. Known QT prolongation, proarrhythmic conditions, clinically significant bradycardia: avoid. Allergic symptoms may recur after initial successful symptomatic treatment. Myasthenia gravis. Hepatic or renal impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant aluminum- or magnesium-containing antacids. Monitor with digoxin, phenytoin, warfarin. Monitor for azithromycin toxicity (eg, liver dysfunction, ototoxicity) with nelfinavir. Concomitant Class 1A (eg, quinidine, procainamide), or Class III (eg, dofetilide, amiodarone, sotalol) antiarrhythmics, or others known to prolong the QT interval: avoid.
Diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, rash; hepatotoxicity, hypersensitivity reactions (eg, angioedema, AGEP, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, DRESS; discontinue if occurs), torsade de pointes (esp. elderly), C. difficile associated diarrhea.
Biliary (primarily), renal.
Tabs—30; Z-Pak (6 x 250mg tabs)—3; Tri-Pak (3 x 500mg tabs)—3; Susp 100mg/5mL—15mL; 200mg/5mL—15mL, 22.5mL, 30mL; Single Dose Packets—3, 10; Inj—10
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder