Generic Name and Formulations:
Bisoprolol (as fumarate), hydrochlorothiazide; 2.5mg/6.25mg, 5mg/6.25mg, 10mg/6.25mg; tabs.
Indications for ZIAC:
Initially one 2.5mg/6.25mg tab once daily. Adjust at 14-day intervals; max two 10mg/6.25mg tabs (20mg bisoprolol + 12.5mg HCTZ) once daily.
Cardiogenic shock. Overt heart failure. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Marked sinus bradycardia. Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy.
CHF. Peripheral vascular disease. Bronchospastic disease. Surgery. Thyroid disease. Avoid abrupt cessation. Gout. Arrhythmia. SLE. Postsympathectomy. Excessive fluid loss. Monitor electrolytes, BUN (if high). Discontinue if electrolyte disorders develop rapidly. Diabetes. Hepatic or renal impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Cardioselective beta-blocker + diuretic.
May potentiate other antihypertensives, reserpine, guanethidine, other catecholamine-depleting drugs, calcium channel blockers, antiarrhythmics, myocardial depressants, nondepolarizing muscle relaxants. Digitalis, lithium toxicity. Antagonized by rifampin, NSAIDs. Increased rebound hypertension with clonidine withdrawal. Adjust antidiabetic, antigout medications. Hyperglycemia, hyperuricemia more likely with diazoxide. NSAIDs may cause renal failure. ACTH, corticosteroids, amphotericin B increase hypokalemia risk. Orthostatic hypotension with alcohol, CNS depressants. May block epinephrine. May interfere with parathyroid tests.
Dizziness, fatigue, cough, insomnia, diarrhea, muscle cramps, impotence.
Tabs 2.5mg/6.25mg, 5mg/6.25mg—100; 10mg/6.25mg—30
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children