Generic Name and Formulations:
Bisoprolol (as fumarate), hydrochlorothiazide; 2.5mg/6.25mg, 5mg/6.25mg, 10mg/6.25mg; tabs.
Indications for ZIAC:
Initially one 2.5mg/6.25mg tab once daily. Adjust at 14-day intervals; max two 10mg/6.25mg tabs (20mg bisoprolol + 12.5mg HCTZ) once daily.
Cardiogenic shock. Overt heart failure. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Marked sinus bradycardia. Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy.
CHF. Peripheral vascular disease. Bronchospastic disease. Surgery. Thyroid disease. Avoid abrupt cessation. Gout. Arrhythmia. SLE. Postsympathectomy. Excessive fluid loss. Monitor electrolytes, BUN (if high). Discontinue if electrolyte disorders develop rapidly. Diabetes. Hepatic or renal impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May potentiate other antihypertensives, reserpine, guanethidine, other catecholamine-depleting drugs, calcium channel blockers, antiarrhythmics, myocardial depressants, nondepolarizing muscle relaxants. Digitalis, lithium toxicity. Antagonized by rifampin, NSAIDs. Increased rebound hypertension with clonidine withdrawal. Adjust antidiabetic, antigout medications. Hyperglycemia, hyperuricemia more likely with diazoxide. NSAIDs may cause renal failure. ACTH, corticosteroids, amphotericin B increase hypokalemia risk. Orthostatic hypotension with alcohol, CNS depressants. May block epinephrine. May interfere with parathyroid tests.
Cardioselective beta-blocker + diuretic.
Dizziness, fatigue, cough, insomnia, diarrhea, muscle cramps, impotence.
Tabs 2.5mg/6.25mg, 5mg/6.25mg—100; 10mg/6.25mg—30
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder