Generic Name and Formulations:
Ezetimibe 10mg; tabs.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for ZETIA:
Adjunct to diet, alone or in combination with an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor (statin), in primary hyperlipidemia (heterozygous familial and non-familial) to reduce elevated total-C, LDL-C, Apo B, and non-HDL-C. Adjunct to diet and in combination with fenofibrate to reduce elevated total-C, LDL-C, Apo B, and non-HDL-C in mixed hyperlipidemia. Adjunct to other lipid-lowering treatments, or if these treatments are unavailable, with atorvastatin or simvastatin to reduce elevated total-C and LDL-C in homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia. Adjunct to diet in homozygous familial sitosterolemia to reduce elevated sitosterol and campesterol.
≥10yrs: 10mg once daily. Concomitant bile acid sequestrants: give ezetimibe either ≥2hrs before or ≥4hrs after. Concomitant simvastatin doses >20mg in moderate-to-severe renal impairment: use caution and monitor closely.
<10yrs: not recommended.
The use of ezetimibe with a statin is contraindicated in active liver disease or unexplained persistent elevations in serum transaminases. Statins are contraindicated in pregnancy and nursing.
Moderate to severe hepatic insufficiency: not recommended. If given with a statin: monitor liver function initially and then as recommended for the statin. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant fibrates (except fenofibrate): not recommended. Potentiates cyclosporine. Potentiated by fenofibrate, gemfibrozil, cyclosporine. Monitor warfarin, cyclosporine. Antagonized by cholestyramine.
Cholesterol absorption inhibitor.
Upper respiratory tract infection, diarrhea, arthralgia, sinusitis, pain in extremity, dizziness, headache, fatigue; rare: myopathy/rhabdomyolysis; w. statin: nasopharyngitis, myalgia, back pain, increased serum transaminases.
For more information on statins, see their entries.
Tabs—30, 90, 500, 5000
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders