Generic Name and Formulations:
Ezetimibe 10mg; tabs.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for ZETIA:
Adjunct to diet, alone or in combination with an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor (statin), in primary hyperlipidemia (heterozygous familial and non-familial) to reduce elevated total-C, LDL-C, Apo B, and non-HDL-C. Adjunct to diet and in combination with fenofibrate to reduce elevated total-C, LDL-C, Apo B, and non-HDL-C in mixed hyperlipidemia. Adjunct to other lipid-lowering treatments, or if these treatments are unavailable, with atorvastatin or simvastatin to reduce elevated total-C and LDL-C in homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia. Adjunct to diet in homozygous familial sitosterolemia to reduce elevated sitosterol and campesterol.
≥10yrs: 10mg once daily. Concomitant bile acid sequestrants: give ezetimibe either ≥2hrs before or ≥4hrs after. Concomitant simvastatin doses >20mg in moderate-to-severe renal impairment: use caution and monitor closely.
<10yrs: not recommended.
The use of ezetimibe with a statin is contraindicated in active liver disease or unexplained persistent elevations in serum transaminases. Statins are contraindicated in pregnancy and nursing.
Moderate to severe hepatic insufficiency: not recommended. If given with a statin: monitor liver function initially and then as recommended for the statin. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant fibrates (except fenofibrate): not recommended. Potentiates cyclosporine. Potentiated by fenofibrate, gemfibrozil, cyclosporine. Monitor warfarin, cyclosporine. Antagonized by cholestyramine.
Cholesterol absorption inhibitor.
Upper respiratory tract infection, diarrhea, arthralgia, sinusitis, pain in extremity, dizziness, headache, fatigue; rare: myopathy/rhabdomyolysis; w. statin: nasopharyngitis, myalgia, back pain, increased serum transaminases.
For more information on statins, see their entries.
Tabs—30, 90, 500, 5000
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Bipolar Depression Benefits From Midday Bright Light Therapy