ZANTAC INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Ranitidine (as HCl) 25mg/mL; IM or IV inj; contains phenol.
Indications for ZANTAC INJECTION:
Hospitalized patients with pathological hypersecretory conditions, intractable duodenal ulcer. Short-term alternative to oral therapy.
>16yrs: 50mg every 6–8 hrs by IM inj, or intermittent IV bolus (dilute; give over 5 min), or intermittent IV (dilute; give over 15–20 min); usual max 400mg/day. Continuous IV infusion, or for Zollinger-Ellison: see literature. Renal impairment (CrCl <50mL/min): 50mg every 18–24hrs or more often if needed (intermittent only). Coincide a dose for end of hemodialysis.
<1month: not recommended. ≥1month–16yrs: Treatment of duodenal ulcer: 2–4mg/kg per day in divided doses every 6–8hrs; max 50mg every 6–8hrs.
History of acute porphyria: not recommended. Renal impairment: reduce dose. Hepatic dysfunction. Discontinue if hepatic disorders occur. Monitor SGPT if on high-dose IV therapy for ≥5 days. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May increase triazolam, midazolam, glipizide, procainamide levels. May decrease ketoconazole, atazanavir, delaviridine, gefitnib levels. Monitor anticoagulants. May cause false (+) urine protein test with Multistix.
Headache, GI disturbances, jaundice, hepatitis, rash; rare: CNS disturbances, arrhythmias, blurred vision, arthralgia, myalgia, inj site reactions, blood dyscrasias, anaphylaxis, angioneurotic edema, acute interstitial nephritis, bradycardia with rapid administration (IV); increased risk of pneumonia (see literature).
Tabs 150mg—60, 180, 500; 300mg—30; EFFERdose tabs—60; Syrup—pt; Inj single dose 2mL—10; Multidose 6mL—1; Premixed 50mL—24
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders