Generic Name and Formulations:
Streptozocin 1g/vial; pwd for IV inj or infusion after reconstitution/dilution; preservative-free.
Indications for ZANOSAR:
Symptomatic or progressive metastatic pancreatic islet cell cancer.
1g/m2 IV once weekly for 2 weeks; may repeat weekly; max 1.5g/m2 per dose. Or, 500mg/m2 IV daily for 5 days every 6 weeks until max benefit or toxicity.
Renal dysfunction or disease. Monitor renal function (eg, urinalysis, BUN, creatinine, electrolytes) before, weekly during, and for 4 weeks after therapy; discontinue or reduce dose if significant renal toxicity occurs (see literature). Obtain CBCs, liver function tests weekly. Avoid extravasation. Ensure adequate hydration. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant nephrotoxic agents. Additive toxicity with other cytotoxic drugs. Severe bone marrow toxicity with doxorubicin. Phenytoin may reduce cytotoxicity.
GI upset (may be severe); hematological, hepatic and renal (cumulative and dose-related; may be fatal) toxicity; glucose intolerance, nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, inj site reactions, CNS effects (eg, confusion, lethargy, depression).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders