Year in Review Schizophrenia
According to one review, there are more individuals with serious mental illness in correctional institutions than in all US state hospitals.
Sunovion have announced positive results from a study evaluating Latuda (lurasidone HCI) for the treatment of schizophrenia in adolescents aged 13 to 17 years old.
The findings might help to explain the increased prevalence of type 2 diabetes in patients with schizophrenia.
Studying cognition deficits during the clinical high risk period allows researchers to observe cognitive defects before chronicity and long-term medication use obscure the core deficits.
Dixdc1 knockout mice demonstrated behaviors suggestive of depression, anxiety, and impaired social behavior.
Data indicate that 693 genes are differentially expressed between individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia and typical, healthy controls.
TSPO expression is frequently used as a biomarker for brain inflammation during PET imaging.
Researchers used the auditory mismatch negativity (MMN) paradigm to evaluate its potential as a neurophysiological biomarker for psychosis.
Investigators examined the white matter tracts in patients diagnosed with the schizophrenia with predominantly negative symptoms.
The primary outcome in this study was reliability of patient-ratings on subjective well-being.
Typical Brain Maturation Reveals Clues to Clinical Manifestation of Psychiatric Disorders in AdolescenceAugust 13, 2016
The authors examined measurements of cortical thickness and intracortical magnetization transfer (MT), a validated MRI marker for myelination, over time with regards to genomic patterning.
The researchers referred to their risk calculator as "well-performing."
Nicotine exposure during pregnancy through cigarette smoking is associated with schizophrenia in offspring.
Study provides further evidence for the effects of inflammation on executive function in patients with schizophrenia.
People with psychiatric impairment may be capable of making wise and thoughtful decisions about their lives.
The FDA has mandated new warnings to include a list of compulsive behaviors.
Poorly managed treatment-resistant schizophrenia has a significant personal and economic impact, with unfavorable long-term outcomes.
The methodological quality of schizophrenia guidelines varies, while lack of consistency across guidelines and inadequate adherence in the clinical setting can impact the quality of care and outcome.
Persistent suicidal ideation was identified in up to 40% of participants with first-episode psychosis.
SlowMo, a new digital platform for patients to use outside therapy session, targets the psychological processes that play a role in paranoia.
Researchers sought to overcome previous limitations on research exploring childhood bullying and adult psychosis.
Study is the first to compare suicide risk of new mothers with postpartum disorder to other categories of women.
Healthy participants with a variation in the AKT1 gene were at higher risk of acute psychotic response to cannabis.
Researchers analyzed nearly 12 000 brain scans to investigate whether smaller brain volumes and schizophrenia share any genetic connection.
Different anomalies in the corpus callosum were associated with different symptoms in the schizophrenic participants.
In a study of 65 000 participants, researchers uncovered a link between elevated levels of C4A protein, excessive synaptic pruning, and the development of schizophrenia.
Therapeutic drug monitoring is vastly underused in psychiatry but could better inform clinical decision-making.
In a mouse model of schizophrenia, the rodents' brains showed a significant decrease in inhibitory CA2 neurons.
The diet provides alternative energy sources from ketone bodies, products of fat breakdown, thereby helping to circumvent abnormally functioning cellular energy pathways in the brain.
Chicken genes are grouped into much smaller linkage blocks than mammalian genomes are, allowing researchers to pinpoint genome regions associated with a trait, such as anxious behavior.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Early Detection Markers of Alzheimer's Disease Possibly Identified
- Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation Inferior to Escitalopram
- Illicit Cannabis Use Among Adults Up Due to Medical Marijuana Laws
- Memory Training Opportunities Exist for Patients With Schizophrenia
- APA: Medical Discrimination Based on Size Psychologically, Physically Harms Patients
- Criteria For Identification of Smartphone Addiction
- Bipolar Disorder: Childhood Trauma Modulates Impact on Amygdala, Hippocampus
- Psychiatric Evaluations: Questions on Suicide Need to Be Rephrased
- Subsequent Suicide Attempts May Be Reduced by Emergency Department Interventions
- Elevated Levels of Childhood Adversity in Patients with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Widespread Pain
- Prescription Opioid Misuse Remains a Persistent Problem
- Revised Treatment Guidelines for Pediatric Acute Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome
- Long-term Response to Prophylactic Mood Stabilizers in Bipolar Disorder
- Medically Supervised Withdrawal, an Option for Pregnant Women Addicted to Opioids
- Navigating the Thin Line Between Identification & Intimacy With Patients