Generic Name and Formulations:
Acyclovir 5% + hydrocortisone 1%; crm.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for XERESE:
Early treatment of recurrent herpes labialis (cold sores), to reduce likelihood of ulcerative cold sores and shorten lesion healing time in adults and adolescents (≥12yrs old).
Start as soon as possible after the first signs/symptoms emerge (ie, during the prodrome or when lesions appear). Wash and dry area. Apply topically to affected area on lips or around the mouth 5 times daily for 5 days. Avoid unnecessary rubbing of affected area to avoid aggravating or transferring infection. Do not occlude. Wash hands before and after application; wait at least 30 minutes before bathing, showering, or swimming.
Immunocompromised. Reevaluate if symptoms persist more than 2 weeks. Avoid eyes, inside the mouth or nose, or on the genitals. Pregnancy (Cat. B). Nursing mothers.
Do not apply other products (makeup, sunscreen, lip balm, etc) to area during treatment.
Antiviral + antiinflammatory.
Drying, flaking, burning/tingling sensation, erythema, pigmentation changes.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders