Generic Name and Formulations:
Orlistat 120mg; caps.
Indications for XENICAL:
Adjunct to reduced-calorie diet in obesity management, including weight loss and weight maintenance. To reduce risk of weight regain after weight loss. For use in patients with initial body mass index ≥30kg/m2 or ≥27kg/m2 in the presence of other risk factors.
Use with a reduced calorie diet with about 30% of calories from fat; spread fat intake over 3 main meals. 120mg three times daily during or up to 1 hour after each of 3 main meals. If a meal is missed or has no fat, skip dose.
Pregnancy (Cat.X). Chronic malabsorption syndrome. Cholestasis.
Exclude organic causes of obesity (eg, hypothyroidism). Weight loss may affect doses needed for antidiabetic drugs (monitor). Monitor for symptoms of hepatic dysfunction; discontinue if occurs and obtain liver function tests. Hyperoxaluria. Calcium oxalate nephrolithiasis. Renal impairment; monitor renal function. Nursing mothers.
Antagonizes cyclosporine (give dose 3hrs after Xenical). May decrease absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, beta carotene; supplement diet with a multivitamin (separate dosing by at least 2hrs). May antagonize amiodarone. Hypothyroidism with levothyroxine; monitor thyroid function and separate dosing by at least 4hrs. Monitor for convulsions with concomitant antiepileptics. Monitor coagulation parameters with anticoagulants (including warfarin). Monitor HIV RNA levels with concomitant antiretrovirals (eg, atazanavir, ritonavir, tenofovir disoproxil fumarate, emtricitabine, lopinavir/ritonavir, emtricitabine/efavirenz/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate).
GI effects (oily spotting, flatus with discharge, fecal urgency, fatty/oily stools, oily evacuation, increased defecation, fecal incontinence); cholelithiasis; rare: severe liver injury.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders