Generic Name and Formulations:
Tetrabenazine 12.5mg; 25mg+ (+scored); tabs.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for XENAZINE:
Individualize. Initially 12.5mg once daily in the AM, then 12.5mg twice daily after one week. Titrate slowly at weekly intervals by 12.5mg. Doses of 37.5–50mg/day should be given in a 3 times/day regimen, max 25mg/dose. Patients who require ≥50mg/day should be genotyped for CYP2D6. Poor metabolizers (CYP2D6): max 25mg/dose and 50mg/day; extensive and intermediate metabolizers: max 37.5mg/dose and 100mg/day. Concomitant strong CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, paroxetine, fluoxetine, quinidine): reduce tetrabenazine dose by ½; moderate to weak CYP2D6 inhibitors: not evaluated. Retitrate if therapy interrupted for more than 5 days.
Depression. Suicidal ideation. Hepatic impairment. Concomitant MAOIs. During or within 20 days of stopping reserpine.
Avoid in congenital long QT syndrome or history of cardiac arrhythmias. Bradycardia. Hypokalemia. Hypomagnesemia. Recent MI. Unstable heart disease. Cardiovascular disease. History of depression, suicidal ideation, or breast cancer. Monitor for depression, emotional lability, akathisia. Poor CYP2D6 metabolizers. Reevaluate periodically. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Avoid concomitant other drugs that can cause QT prolongation (eg, chlorpromazine, thioridazine, ziprasidone, moxifloxacin, quinidine, procainamide, amiodarone, sotalol). Potentiated by CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, paroxetine, fluoxetine). Increased risk of neuroleptic malignant syndrome, extrapyramidal syndrome with neuroleptics, dopamine antagonists. Additive CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants.
Vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) inhibitor.
Sedation, fatigue, insomnia, depression, dysphagia, akathisia, nausea, parkinsonism, QTc prolongation, orthostatic hypotension, elevated serum prolactin; rarely: neuroleptic malignant syndrome, tardive dyskinesia, extrapyramidal effects.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder