Generic Name and Formulations:
Rivaroxaban 10mg, 15mg, 20mg; tabs.
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for XARELTO:
To reduce the risk of stroke and systemic embolism in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Treatment of deep vein thrombosis (DVT), pulmonary embolism (PE). To reduce the risk of recurrence of DVT, PE following 6 months treatment for DVT, PE. Prophylaxis of DVT, which may lead to PE in patients undergoing knee or hip replacement surgery.
15mg and 20mg tabs: take with food. Unable to swallow whole tabs: may crush tabs and mix with applesauce immediately prior to use, or give by NG or gastric tube (see full labeling). Nonvalvular atrial fibrillation: CrCl >50mL/min: 20mg once daily with the evening meal; CrCl 15–50mL/min: 15mg once daily with the evening meal. Treatment of DVT, PE: 15mg twice daily for first 21 days, then 20mg once daily for remaining treatment. Reduction in risk of recurrence of DVT, PE: 20mg once daily. Prophylaxis of DVT (take 6–10hrs after surgery once hemostasis established): 10mg once daily for 35 days (hip) or 12 days (knee). CrCl<30mL/min: avoid use for DVT/PE treatment, risk reduction, or prophylaxis. Switching from or to warfarin, or other anticoagulants: see full labeling.
Active pathological bleeding.
Premature discontinuation increases risk of thrombotic events; if discontinued for reason other than bleeding or therapy completion, consider coverage with another anticoagulant. Increased risk of spinal/epidural hematoma in anticoagulated patients receiving neuraxial anesthesia or undergoing spinal puncture (see full labeling); monitor for signs/symptoms of neurological impairment. Increased risk of bleeding; monitor for signs/symptoms of blood loss; discontinue if active pathological hemorrhage occurs. Patients with prosthetic heart valves, PE patients with hemodynamic instability, or those requiring thrombolysis or pulmonary embolectomy: not recommended. Moderate or severe hepatic impairment, hepatic disease associated with coagulopathy: avoid. Monitor renal function periodically; consider dose adjustment or discontinue if acute renal failure develops. Discontinue 24hrs before surgery. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C): risk of pregnancy-related hemorrhage. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased risk of bleeding with concomitant aspirin, clopidogrel, enoxaparin, warfarin, P2Y12 platelet inhibitors, other antithrombotic agents, fibrinolytic therapy, chronic NSAIDs, SSRIs, SNRIs, combined P-gp and strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, ritonavir); avoid. Increased thrombotic events with combined P-gp and strong CYP3A4 inducers (eg, carbamazepine, phenytoin, rifampin, St. John’s wort); avoid. Renal impairment (CrCl 15–<80mL/min): do not use Xarelto if receiving concomitant combined P-gp and moderate CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, erythromycin), unless benefit justifies the risk.
Factor Xa inhibitor.
Bleeding events (may be serious or fatal), back pain, wound secretion, pruritus, pain in extremity, abdominal pain, osteoarthritis, blister.
Hepatic (CYP3A4/5, 2J2).
Tabs 10mg—30, 100 (10 x 10 blister cards); 15mg, 20mg—30, 90, 100 (10 x 10 blister cards); Starter Pack (for DVT/PE)—1 (51 tabs)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder