Generic Name and Formulations:
Rivaroxaban 10mg, 15mg, 20mg; tabs.
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for XARELTO:
To reduce the risk of stroke and systemic embolism in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Treatment of deep vein thrombosis (DVT), pulmonary embolism (PE). To reduce the risk of recurrence of DVT and/or PE in patients at continued risk for recurrent DVT and/or PE after completion of initial treatment lasting ≥6 months. Prophylaxis of DVT, which may lead to PE in patients undergoing knee or hip replacement surgery.
15mg and 20mg tabs: take with food. Unable to swallow whole tabs: may crush tabs and mix with applesauce immediately prior to use, or give by NG or gastric tube (see full labeling). Nonvalvular atrial fibrillation: CrCl >50mL/min: 20mg once daily with the evening meal; CrCl 15–50mL/min: 15mg once daily with the evening meal. Treatment of DVT, PE: 15mg twice daily for first 21 days, then 20mg once daily for remaining treatment. Reduction in risk of recurrence of DVT, PE at continued risk: 10mg once daily. Prophylaxis of DVT (take 6–10hrs after surgery once hemostasis established): 10mg once daily for 35 days (hip) or 12 days (knee). CrCl<30mL/min: avoid use for DVT/PE treatment, risk reduction, or prophylaxis. Switching from or to warfarin, or other anticoagulants: see full labeling.
Active pathological bleeding.
Premature discontinuation increases risk of thrombotic events; if discontinued for reason other than bleeding or therapy completion, consider coverage with another anticoagulant. Increased risk of spinal/epidural hematoma in anticoagulated patients receiving neuraxial anesthesia or undergoing spinal puncture (see full labeling); monitor for signs/symptoms of neurological impairment. Increased risk of bleeding; monitor for signs/symptoms of blood loss; discontinue if active pathological hemorrhage occurs. Patients with prosthetic heart valves, PE patients with hemodynamic instability, or those requiring thrombolysis or pulmonary embolectomy: not recommended. Moderate or severe hepatic impairment, hepatic disease associated with coagulopathy: avoid. Monitor renal function periodically; consider dose adjustment or discontinue if acute renal failure develops. Discontinue 24hrs before surgery. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy: risk of pregnancy-related hemorrhage. Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of bleeding with concomitant aspirin, clopidogrel, enoxaparin, warfarin, P2Y12 platelet inhibitors, other antithrombotic agents, fibrinolytic therapy, chronic NSAIDs, SSRIs, SNRIs, combined P-gp and strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, ritonavir); avoid. Increased thrombotic events with combined P-gp and strong CYP3A4 inducers (eg, carbamazepine, phenytoin, rifampin, St. John’s wort); avoid. Renal impairment (CrCl 15–<80mL/min): do not use Xarelto if receiving concomitant combined P-gp and moderate CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, erythromycin), unless benefit justifies the risk.
Factor Xa inhibitor.
Bleeding events (may be serious or fatal), back pain, wound secretion, pruritus, pain in extremity, abdominal pain, blister.
Hepatic (CYP3A4/5, 2J2).
Tabs 10mg—30, 100 (10 x 10 blister cards); 15mg, 20mg—30, 90, 100 (10 x 10 blister cards); Starter Pack (for DVT/PE)—1 (51 tabs)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders