Generic Name and Formulations:
Alprazolam 0.25mg, 0.5mg, 1mg, 2mg+; scored tabs (+multi-scored).
Indications for XANAX:
Anxiety. Panic disorder.
Adjust at intervals of at least 3–4 days. ≥18yrs: Anxiety: initially 0.25–0.5mg 3 times daily; max 4mg daily in divided doses. Elderly or debilitated: initially 0.25mg 2–3 times daily. Panic disorder: initially 0.5mg 3 times daily; usual range: 5–6mg daily in divided doses; max 10mg/day.
<18yrs: not established.
Concomitant itraconazole, ketoconazole.
Risks from concomitant use with opioids; see Interactions. Suicidal ideation. Depression. Psychosis. Mania. Renal, cardiovascular, hepatic, or pulmonary impairment; monitor. Obesity. Reevaluate periodically. Change dose gradually. Withdrawal symptoms on abrupt cessation or dose reduction. Monitor periodic CBCs, urinalysis, blood chemistry. Drug or alcohol abuse. Elderly. Debilitated. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications; other azole antifungals: not recommended. Increased sedation, respiratory depression, coma, and death with concomitant opioids; reserve use in those for whom alternative treatment options are inadequate; if needed, limit dosages/durations to minimum and monitor. Additive CNS depressant effects with alcohol or other CNS depressants (eg, other benzodiazepines, psychotropics, anticonvulsants, antihistamines); consider dose reductions. Potentiated by CYP3A inhibitors (eg, cimetidine, nefazodone, fluvoxamine); reduce alprazolam dose; caution with weaker CYP3A inhibitors (eg, fluoxetine, propoxyphene, oral contraceptives). Caution with diltiazem, isoniazid, erythromycin, clarithromycin, grapefruit juice, sertraline, paroxetine, ergotamine, cyclosporine, amiodarone, nicardipine, nifedipine, others metabolized by CYP3A. Antagonized by CYP3A inducers (eg, carbamazepine). May increase levels of imipramine, desipramine.
CNS depression (eg, sedation, somnolence, memory impairment, dysarthria, coordination abnormal, ataxia), fatigue, lethargy, dyspnea, dry mouth, constipation, withdrawal seizures, tremors, decreased libido, sexual dysfunction, paradoxical excitement.
XR—60; Tabs 0.25mg, 0.5mg, 1mg—100, 500, 1000; 2mg—100, 500
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder