XANAX XR CIV
Generic Name and Formulations:
Alprazolam 0.5mg, 1mg, 2mg, 3mg; ext-rel tabs.
Indications for XANAX XR:
Swallow whole. ≥18yrs: initially 0.5–1mg once daily, preferably in the AM; increase at intervals of at least 3–4 days by up to 1mg/day. Taper no faster than by 0.5mg every 3 days. Usual range: 3–6mg/day; max 10mg/day. Elderly or debilitated: initially 0.5mg/day. Switching from immediate-release alprazolam: give same total daily dose of immediate-release once daily, preferably in the AM.
<18yrs: not established.
Concomitant itraconazole, ketoconazole.
Risks from concomitant use with opioids; see Interactions. Suicidal ideation. Depression. Psychosis. Mania. Renal, cardiovascular, hepatic, or pulmonary impairment; monitor. Obesity. Reevaluate periodically. Change dose gradually. Withdrawal symptoms on abrupt cessation or dose reduction. Monitor periodic CBCs, urinalysis, blood chemistry. Drug or alcohol abuse. Elderly. Debilitated. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications; other azole antifungals: not recommended. Increased sedation, respiratory depression, coma, and death with concomitant opioids; reserve use in those for whom alternative treatment options are inadequate; if needed, limit dosages/durations to minimum and monitor. Additive CNS depressant effects with alcohol or other CNS depressants (eg, other benzodiazepines, psychotropics, anticonvulsants, antihistamines); consider dose reductions. Potentiated by CYP3A inhibitors (eg, cimetidine, nefazodone, fluvoxamine); reduce alprazolam dose; caution with weaker CYP3A inhibitors (eg, fluoxetine, propoxyphene, oral contraceptives). Caution with diltiazem, isoniazid, erythromycin, clarithromycin, grapefruit juice, sertraline, paroxetine, ergotamine, cyclosporine, amiodarone, nicardipine, nifedipine, others metabolized by CYP3A. Antagonized by CYP3A inducers (eg, carbamazepine). May increase levels of imipramine, desipramine.
CNS depression (eg, sedation, somnolence, memory impairment, dysarthria, coordination abnormal, ataxia), fatigue, lethargy, dyspnea, dry mouth, constipation, withdrawal seizures, tremors, decreased libido, sexual dysfunction, paradoxical excitement.
XR—60; Tabs 0.25mg, 0.5mg, 1mg—100, 500, 1000; 2mg—100, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders