Identifying environmental factors that reduce the risk of suicidal behavior is crucial.
Modestly obese women who were educated were almost twice as likely to have depression than their normal-weight peers.
Stillbirth is associated with suicidal ideation, depression, anxiety and other manifestations of post-traumatic stress disorder.
Study is the first to compare suicide risk of new mothers with postpartum disorder to other categories of women.
Risk up with exposure to serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors in late pregnancy.
Increased risk of obesity seen during childhood and young adulthood for female, but not males.
A clinician should also rule out the possibility that the dysfunction stems from a co-occurring medical or psychiatric condition, or substance abuse.
Researchers find no cognitive benefits from raloxifene in women with mild to moderate dementia.
A case study involving a 38-year-old woman with a history of ADHD seeks counseling for treatment of the condition during a pregnancy.
Psychiatrists can play a key role in detecting signs of abuse, helping the individual to create a safety plan, and providing trauma interventions.
Female Vietnam veterans have a 1.5 times higher likelihood of developing PTSD than women who served in the U.S.
Calcium supplementation also appears to be helpful.
However, researchers say there may be a link between antidepressants and postpartum hemorrhage.
Women bear six times the cost of Alzheimer's disease care than men do.
Women who forgave others were less likely to report depressive symptoms, irrespective of whether they felt unforgiven by others.
Women who received the treatment and gave birth were five times more likely to suffer depression than women whose treatment was not successful.
Consumption of foods with high glycemic index tied to increased depression risk in postmenopausal women.
A diet high in refined carbohydrates is associated with a greater risk of new-onset depression in postmenopausal women.
Socially isolated women who were less socially integrated were more likely to be employed full time and were more likely to smoke.
Findings were made in women with psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis.
Maternal use of paroxetine (Paxil) and fluoxetine (Prozac) was associated with a higher risk of birth defects, but not with sertraline (Zoloft).
Women with bipolar who did not sleep well tended to have more severe and frequent depression, as well as more intense manic episodes.
Later this summer, the Alzheimer's Association will fund research into why women are much more likely to develop Alzheimer's than men.
Women with severe PTSD had a 60% higher risk of developing cardiovascular disease than women who didn't experience trauma.
Menopausal women who took an SSRI had a 76% higher risk of fracture after one year of use compared to women not taking an antidepressant.
While PTSD is thought by many to primarily impact men, rates are twice as high in women as men.
Women who had an overproduction of the gene XIST were found to have mental illness including bipolar disorder, depression and schizophrenia.
Dialectical behavior therapy reduced suicide attempts in women with borderline personality disorder.
Despite advances in the last decade, many pregnant women with depression still do not receive adequate treatment.
Young women with vitamin D deficiencies had a higher likelihood of exhibiting depression symptoms.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Early Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder Found in Offspring of BD Parents
- Prevalence of Schizophrenia in Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes
- Daily Drinking Associated With Increased Mortality Risk
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Nutrition Tips for Physicians: Staying Healthy During Busy Days
- Mental Health Problems in Adolescents With HIV: Overview & Expert Interview
- Should Physicians Play a Role in Minimizing the Societal Cost of Medical Care?
- Digital Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Effective for Individuals With Insomnia
- How Do Medical Scribes Reduce EHR Documentation Burden for Physicians?