Generic Name and Formulations:
Teniposide 10mg/mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution; contains benzyl alcohol, polyoxy 35 castor oil, dehydrated alcohol.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Teniposide:
Refractory childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
Adults and Children:
See full labeling. Give as slow IV infusion (at least 30–60mins). Patients failing induction therapy with a cytarabine-containing regimen: 165mg/m2 + cytarabine twice weekly for 8 to 9 doses. Refractory to vincristine/prednisone-containing regimen: 250mg/m2 + vincristine weekly for 4 to 8 weeks + oral prednisone for 28 days.
Should be administered under the supervision of an experienced physician. Severe myelosuppression with resulting infection or bleeding may occur. Hypersensitivity reactions.
Dose-limiting bone marrow suppression. Monitor for hypersensitivity reactions following infusion; have epinephrine available. Risk of hypotension with rapid IV administration. Hepatic dysfunction. Monitor and obtain CBCs with differential, hemoglobin, platelets, renal and hepatic functions before, during, and after therapy. Down syndrome (use reduced dose). Monitor children with hypoalbuminemia. Avoid extravasation. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by tolbutamide, sodium salicylate, and sulfamethizole. Concomitant vincristine sulfate may cause neuropathy. Concomitant antiemetics in patients given high doses of teniposide may increase risk of CNS depression, hypotension.
Myelosuppression (leukopenia, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, anemia), mucositis, GI upset, infection, alopecia, bleeding, rash, fever, hypotension, CNS depression, hypersensitivity reactions (may be fatal).
Formerly known under the brand name Vumon.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Panel Recommends Earlier Body Weight Monitoring in Use of Mood Stabilizers
- Nondaily Cigarette Use Increasing Among Individuals With Mental Health, Substance Use Disorders
- Cesarean Delivery, Early Childhood Antibiotic Use Not Associated With Risk for ADHD
- Uncertainty as a Form of Violence: Current Immigration Policy and Crisis
- FDA Gets Tough on Juul, Other Electronic Cigarette Makers