Generic Name and Formulations:
Teniposide 10mg/mL; soln for IV infusion after dilution; contains benzyl alcohol, Cremophor EL (polyoxyethylated castor oil), dehydrated alcohol.
Indications for VUMON:
Refractory childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
Adults and Children:
See literature. Give as slow IV infusion (at least 30–60 minutes). Patients failing induction therapy with a cytarabine-containing regimen: 165mg/m2 + cytarabine twice weekly for 8 to 9 doses. Refractory to vincristine/prednisone-containing regimen: 250mg/m2 + vincristine weekly for 4 to 8 weeks + oral prednisone for 28 days.
Severe myelosuppression. Monitor for hypersensitivity reactions following infusion; have epinephrine available. Risk of hypotension with rapid IV administration. Hepatic dysfunction. Monitor and obtain CBCs with differential, hemoglobin, platelets, renal and hepatic functions before, during, and after therapy. Down syndrome (use reduced dose). Monitor children with hypoalbuminemia. Avoid extravasation. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by tolbutamide, sodium salicylate, and sulfamethizole. Concomitant vincristine sulfate may cause neuropathy. Concomitant antiemetics in patients given high doses of teniposide may increase risk of CNS depression, hypotension.
Myelosuppression (leukopenia, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, anemia), mucositis, GI upset, infection, alopecia, bleeding, rash, fever, hypotension, CNS depression, hypersensitivity reactions (may be fatal).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV