Generic Name and Formulations:
Glucarpidase; 1,000 Units/vial; lyophilized pwd for IV inj after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Indications for VORAXAZE:
Treatment of toxic plasma methotrexate (MTX) concentrations (>1 micromole per liter) in patients with delayed MTX clearance due to impaired renal function.
Adults and Children:
<1 month: not recommended. ≥1 month: Give as bolus IV inj over 5 minutes. 50Units/kg as a single injection. Continue leucovorin therapy until the MTX concentration is below the leucovorin treatment threshold for at least 3 days. Do not administer leucovorin within 2hrs before or after a dose of glucarpidase. First 48hrs after glucarpidase: administer same leucovorin dose as given prior to glucarpidase. Beyond 48hrs after glucarpidase: give leucovorin dose based on the measured MTX concentration.
Not indicated for use in patients who exhibit the expected clearance of MTX (plasma MTX concentrations within 2 standard deviations of the mean MTX excretion curve specific for the dose of MTX administered) or those with normal or mildly impaired renal function. Monitor MTX concentrations only by chromatographic methods within 48hrs following administration. Continue hydration and alkalinization of urine as indicated. Pregnancy (Cat. C). Nursing mothers.
See Adults and children. Other exogenous substrates including reduced folates and folate antimetabolites may cause interference.
Paresthesia, flushing, nausea, vomiting, hypotension, headache; rare: allergic reactions, antibody formation.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders