Generic Name and Formulations:
Ganciclovir 4.5mg; per implant; for intravitreal implantation.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for VITRASERT:
Treatment of cytomegalovirus (CMV) retinitis in patients with AIDS.
Adults and Children:
<9yrs: not recommended. ≥9yrs: Implant designed to release drug over 5–8 months. May be removed and replaced following depletion of ganciclovir.
External infection. Severe thrombocytopenia.
Should be administered by surgeon who has observed or assisted in surgical implantation of Vitrasert prior to attempting procedure. Monitor for extraocular CMV disease. Ophthalmologic follow-up advised at appropriate intervals. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Visual acuity loss of 3 lines or more, vitreous hemorrhage, retinal detachments, cataract formation/lens opacities, macular abnormalities, intraocular pressure spikes, optic disk/nerve changes, hyphemas, uveitis.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Buprenorphine, Methadone Combined With CNS Depressants May Lead to SAEs
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in HIV-Associated Depression
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress