Generic Name and Formulations:
Lipase/protease/amylase: 10440Units/39150Units/39150Units; 20880Units/78300Units/78300Units; tabs.
Indications for VIOKACE:
Treatment of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency in adults due to chronic pancreatitis or pancreatectomy, in combination with a proton pump inhibitor.
Start at the lowest recommended dose and increase gradually. Individualize based on clinical symptoms, the degree of steatorrhea present, and the fat content of the diet. Swallow whole; do not crush or chew tabs. Take with meals and sufficient fluid. Do not let any drug remain in mouth. Initially 500 lipase units/kg per meal. Max: 2500 lipase units/kg per meal (or ≤10000 lipase units/kg/day), or <4000 lipase units/g fat ingested per day. See full labeling.
Not interchangeable with other pancrelipase products. Fibrosing colonopathy (with high doses); risk of stricture formation (monitor). Pork allergy. Potential viral transmission. Gout. Renal impairment. Hyperuricemia. Contents irritating to oral mucosa. Lactose intolerance. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Pancreatic enzymes (porcine).
Biliary tract stones, anal pruritus; allergic reactions.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders