Generic Name and Formulations:
Lipase/protease/amylase: 10440Units/39150Units/39150Units; 20880Units/78300Units/78300Units; tabs.
Indications for VIOKACE:
Treatment of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency in adults due to chronic pancreatitis or pancreatectomy, in combination with a proton pump inhibitor.
Start at the lowest recommended dose and increase gradually. Individualize based on clinical symptoms, the degree of steatorrhea present, and the fat content of the diet. Swallow whole; do not crush or chew tabs. Take with meals and sufficient fluid. Do not let any drug remain in mouth. Initially 500 lipase units/kg per meal. Max: 2500 lipase units/kg per meal (or ≤10000 lipase units/kg/day), or <4000 lipase units/g fat ingested per day. See full labeling.
Not interchangeable with other pancrelipase products. Fibrosing colonopathy (with high doses); risk of stricture formation (monitor). Pork allergy. Potential viral transmission. Gout. Renal impairment. Hyperuricemia. Contents irritating to oral mucosa. Lactose intolerance. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Pancreatic enzymes (porcine).
Biliary tract stones, anal pruritus; allergic reactions.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Cycle Patterns Associated With Treatment Response in Bipolar Disorders
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder