Generic Name and Formulations:
Vilazodone HCl 10mg, 20mg, 40mg; tabs.
Indications for VIIBRYD:
Major depressive disorder.
Take with food. Initially 10mg once daily for 7 days, then 20mg once daily for 7 days, then increase to 40mg once daily. Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inhibitors: max 20mg once daily. Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inducers for >14 days: consider increasing dose up to 2-fold over 1–2 weeks; max 80mg daily. Readjust to original level when CYP3A4 inhibitors or inducers (in 14 days) are discontinued.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs; do not start an MAOI during or within 14 days of vilazodone. Concomitant linezolid or IV methylene blue.
Increased risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children, adolescents, and young adults; monitor for clinical worsening or unusual changes. Screen for bipolar disorder. Monitor for serotonin syndrome; discontinue if occurs. Increased risk of bleeding. History of mania/hypomania. Seizure disorder. Angle-closure glaucoma. Volume depleted. Avoid abrupt disruption. Reevaluate periodically. Write ℞ for smallest practical amount. Elderly. Pregnancy; effects on neonate exposed in 3rd trimester (see full labeling). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Avoid alcohol. Increased risk of serotonin syndrome with other serotonergic drugs (eg, triptans, tricyclic antidepressants, fentanyl, lithium, tramadol, tryptophan, buspirone, amphetamines, St. John's Wort) or with drugs that impair serotonin metabolism (eg, MAOIs, linezolid, IV methylene blue). Increased risk of bleeding with concomitant aspirin, NSAIDs, warfarin (monitor), other anticoagulants. Potentiated by strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, itraconazole, clarithromycin, voriconazole); see Adult. Antagonized by strong CYP3A4 inducers (eg, carbamazepine, phenytoin, rifampin); see Adult. Monitor digoxin. Caution with other highly protein-bound drugs.
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor + 5-HT1A receptor partial agonist.
Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, insomnia; hyponatremia/SIADH (esp. in elderly).
Tabs—30; Patient Starter Kit (7x10mg tabs + 7x20mg tabs + 16x40mg tabs; 7x10mg tabs + 23x20mg tabs)—30
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?