Generic Name and Formulations:
Azacitidine 100mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for SC inj after reconstitution or IV inj after reconstitution and dilution; contains mannitol; preservative-free.
Indications for VIDAZA:
Myelodysplastic syndromes (refractory anemias, chronic myelomonocytic leukemia).
Premedicate for nausea & vomiting. Rotate SC inj sites. Initially 75mg/m2 SC (doses >4mL divide equally into 2 syringes and inject into 2 separate sites, must administer within 1hr of reconstitution) or IV (infuse over 10–40mins, must complete within 1hr of reconstitution) daily for 7 days; repeat cycle every 4 weeks. May increase to 100mg/m2 after 2 cycles if no response and no toxicity. Treat for at least 4–6 cycles. Adjust subsequent doses based on nadir counts, hematologic response, and toxicities (eg, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, decreased serum bicarbonate, BUN or SCr elevation); see full labeling.
Advanced malignant hepatic tumors.
Myelosuppression. Monitor CBCs frequently for response and/or toxicity, at a minimum, prior to each dosing cycle. Renal or hepatic impairment. High tumor burden. Monitor serum bicarbonate, liver chemistries, and serum creatinine prior to initiation and with each cycle. Monitor for tumor lysis syndrome and treat as appropriate. Elderly. Embryo-fetal toxicity. Females and males of reproductive potential should use effective contraception. Pregnancy: avoid; verify status prior to initiation. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Nausea, anemia, thrombocytopenia, vomiting, pyrexia, leukopenia, diarrhea, inj site erythema, constipation, neutropenia, ecchymosis, petechiae, rigors, weakness, hypokalemia; renal failure/tubular acidosis, hepatic coma.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease