Generic Name and Formulations:
Azacitidine 100mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for SC inj after reconstitution or IV inj after reconstitution and dilution; contains mannitol; preservative-free.
Indications for VIDAZA:
Myelodysplastic syndromes (refractory anemias, chronic myelomonocytic leukemia).
Premedicate for nausea & vomiting. Rotate SC inj sites. Initially 75mg/m2 SC (doses >4mL divide equally into 2 syringes and inject into 2 separate sites, must administer within 1hr of reconstitution) or IV (infuse over 10–40mins, must complete within 1hr of reconstitution) daily for 7 days; repeat cycle every 4 weeks. May increase to 100mg/m2 after 2 cycles if no response and no toxicity. Treat for at least 4–6 cycles. Adjust subsequent doses based on nadir counts, hematologic response, and toxicities (eg, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, decreased serum bicarbonate, BUN or SCr elevation); see full labeling.
Advanced malignant hepatic tumors.
Myelosuppression. Monitor CBCs frequently for response and/or toxicity, at a minimum, prior to each dosing cycle. Renal or hepatic impairment. High tumor burden. Monitor serum bicarbonate, liver chemistries, and serum creatinine prior to initiation and with each cycle. Monitor for tumor lysis syndrome and treat as appropriate. Elderly. Embryo-fetal toxicity. Females and males of reproductive potential should use effective contraception. Pregnancy: avoid; verify status prior to initiation. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Nausea, anemia, thrombocytopenia, vomiting, pyrexia, leukopenia, diarrhea, inj site erythema, constipation, neutropenia, ecchymosis, petechiae, rigors, weakness, hypokalemia; renal failure/tubular acidosis, hepatic coma.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age