Generic Name and Formulations:
Azacitidine 100mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for SC inj after reconstitution or IV inj after reconstitution and dilution; contains mannitol; preservative-free.
Indications for VIDAZA:
Myelodysplastic syndromes (refractory anemias, chronic myelomonocytic leukemia).
Premedicate for nausea & vomiting. Rotate SC inj sites. Initially 75mg/m2 SC (doses >4mL divide equally into 2 syringes and inject into 2 separate sites, must administer within 1hr of reconstitution) or IV (infuse over 10–40mins, must complete within 1hr of reconstitution) daily for 7 days; repeat cycle every 4 weeks. May increase to 100mg/m2 after 2 cycles if no response and no toxicity. Treat for at least 4–6 cycles. Adjust subsequent doses based on nadir counts, hematologic response, and toxicities (eg, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, decreased serum bicarbonate, BUN or SCr elevation); see full labeling.
Advanced malignant hepatic tumors.
Myelosuppression. Monitor CBCs frequently for response and/or toxicity, at a minimum, prior to each dosing cycle. Renal or hepatic impairment. High tumor burden. Monitor serum bicarbonate, liver chemistries, and serum creatinine prior to initiation and with each cycle. Monitor for tumor lysis syndrome and treat as appropriate. Elderly. Embryo-fetal toxicity. Females and males of reproductive potential should use effective contraception. Pregnancy: avoid; verify status prior to initiation. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Nausea, anemia, thrombocytopenia, vomiting, pyrexia, leukopenia, diarrhea, inj site erythema, constipation, neutropenia, ecchymosis, petechiae, rigors, weakness, hypokalemia; renal failure/tubular acidosis, hepatic coma.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders