Generic Name and Formulations:
Liraglutide [rDNA origin] 6mg/mL; soln for SC inj.
Indications for VICTOZA:
As adjunct to diet and exercise, to improve glycemic control in type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM). To reduce the risk of major adverse CV events (eg, death, non-fatal MI/stroke) in T2DM and established CV disease.
Limitations Of use:
Not a substitute for insulin. Not for treating type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. Not studied in combination with prandial insulin.
Give by SC inj in abdomen, thigh, or upper arm once daily. Initially 0.6mg/day for 1 week, then 1.2mg/day; may increase to 1.8mg/day. If >3 days elapsed since last dose, reinitiate at 0.6mg/day, then titrate. Renal impairment: caution with initiating or escalating doses.
<18yrs: not recommended.
History (personal or family) of medullary thyroid carcinoma. Multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2.
Risk of thyroid C-cell tumors; inform patients of potential risk and symptoms. Discontinue if pancreatitis is suspected; do not restart if confirmed. History of pancreatitis. Evaluate if cholelithiasis is suspected. Do not reuse or share pens or needles between patients. Renal or hepatic impairment. Dehydration. Gastroparesis. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Concomitant insulin (insufficient data); administer as separate injections not adjacent to each other. Hypoglycemia with sulfonylureas or insulin (consider reducing their doses). May affect absorption of concomitant oral drugs (delayed gastric emptying); caution.
Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonist.
Nausea, diarrhea, headache, vomiting, decreased appetite, dyspepsia, constipation, immunogenicity reactions (eg, urticaria); rare: pancreatitis, papillary thyroid carcinoma, hypersensitivity reactions (discontinue if occur).
Multi-dose, pre-filled pens (3mL)—2, 3
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Bipolar Depression Benefits From Midday Bright Light Therapy