Generic Name and Formulations:
Eluxadoline 75mg, 100mg; tabs.
Indications for VIBERZI:
Treatment of irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea (IBS-D).
Take with food. 100mg twice daily. Patients with mild or moderate hepatic impairment, receiving concomitant OATP1B1 inhibitors (see Interactions), or unable to tolerate 100mg dose: 75mg twice daily.
Without a gallbladder. Biliary duct obstruction. Sphincter of Oddi disease or dysfunction. Alcoholism, alcohol abuse/addiction, or >3 alcoholic drinks/day. History of pancreatitis or structural disease of the pancreas (including pancreatic duct obstruction). Severe hepatic impairment. History of chronic or severe constipation or sequelae from constipation. Mechanical GI obstruction.
Discontinue if severe constipation develops. Increased risk of sphincter of Oddi spasm and pancreatitis; monitor for new or worsening abdominal pain (eg, acute epigastric or biliary), with or without nausea/vomiting, or associated with liver or pancreatic enzyme elevations; discontinue and treat if symptoms occur; do not restart if biliary duct obstruction or sphincter of Oddi spasm develops. Assess alcohol intake prior to initiation. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Avoid excessive alcohol. Potentiated by OATP1B1 inhibitors (eg, cyclosporine, gemfibrozil, atazanavir, lopinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir, tipranavir, rifampin, eltrombopag). May be potentiated by strong CYP inhibitors (eg, ciprofloxacin, gemfibrozil, fluconazole, clarithromycin, paroxetine, bupropion); monitor. Increased risk for constipation with alosetron, anticholinergics, opioids; avoid. May potentiate OATP1B1 and BCRP substrates (eg, rosuvastatin: use lowest effective dose of rosuvastatin) or CYP3A substrates with narrow therapeutic index (eg, alfentanil, cyclosporine, ergots, fentanyl, pimozide, quinidine, sirolimus, tacrolimus); monitor.
Mu-opioid receptor agonist.
Constipation, nausea, abdominal pain; sphincter of Oddi spasm, pancreatitis.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder