Generic Name and Formulations:
Telavancin (as HCl) 750mg; per vial; pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution; preservative-free.
Indications for VIBATIV:
Complicated skin and skin structure infections due to susceptible gram (+) bacteria. Hospital-acquired and ventilator-associated bacterial pneumonia (HABP/VABP) due to Staphylococcus aureus.
≥18yrs: Give by IV infusion over 60 mins. Complicated skin and skin structure: treat for 7–14 days. HABP/VABP: treat for 7–21 days. Normal renal function: 10mg/kg once every 24hrs. Renal impairment: CrCl 30–50mL/min: 7.5mg/kg every 24hrs; CrCl 10–<30mL/min: 10mg/kg every 48hrs; CrCl<10mL/min or dialysis: not recommended.
<18yrs: not studied.
Concomitant IV unfractionated heparin sodium.
Increased mortality in patients with pre-existing moderate/severe renal impairment who were treated for HABP/VABP. Baseline CrCl≤50mL/min. Risk of nephrotoxicity; monitor renal function. Diabetes. CHF. Hypertension. Obtain (–) pregnancy test before treatment for women of childbearing potential; use appropriate effective contraception during treatment. Discontinue at first signs of hypersensitivity reaction. Known hypersensitivity to vancomycin. Congenital long QT syndrome, uncompensated heart failure, severe left ventricular hypertrophy: avoid. Pregnancy (Cat.C): not recommended, may cause fetal harm. Nursing mothers.
Caution with other drugs that can cause QT prolongation. Increased risk of renal toxicity with NSAIDs, ACE inhibitors, loop diuretics. May interfere with coagulation tests (eg, PT/INR, aPPT, activated clotting time, coagulation-based factor Xa tests) and some urine protein tests.
Dysgeusia, nausea, vomiting, foamy urine; nephrotoxicity (reevaluate if occurs), infusion reactions ("red man syndrome"), superinfection (eg, antibiotic-associated colitis), QT prolongation, C.difficile-associated diarrhea.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder