Generic Name and Formulations:
Rimexolone 1%; oph susp; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for VEXOL:
Post-op inflammation. Anterior uveitis.
Post-op: 1–2 drops into conjunctival sac(s) 4 times daily; start 24 hrs after surgery and continue through 1st 2 weeks post-op. Uveitis: 1–2 drops into the conjunctival sac(s) every hour while awake for 1st week, then 1 drop every 2 hrs while awake for 2nd week, then taper until resolved.
Epithelial herpes simplex keratitis and other viral infections including vaccinia, varicella. Ocular mycobacterial, fungal, or untreated purulent infections.
Corneal or scleral thinning. Monitor intraocular pressure. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Blurred vision, discharge, discomfort, ocular pain, increased intraocular pressure, foreign body sensation, hyperemia, pruritus; may mask secondary ocular infections; ocular hypertension/glaucoma, optic nerve damage, defects in visual acuity and visual fields, posterior subcapsular cataract formation, superinfection possible with prolonged use.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders