Generic Name and Formulations:
Solifenacin succinate 5mg, 10mg; tabs.
Astellas Pharma US, Inc.
Indications for VESICARE:
Overactive bladder with symptoms of urge urinary incontinence, urgency, and frequency.
Swallow whole with water. Initially 5mg once daily; if well tolerated, may increase to 10mg once daily. Severe renal impairment (CrCl<30mL/min), moderate hepatic impairment (Child-Pugh B), or concomitant potent CYP3A4 inhibitors: max 5mg once daily.
Gastric or urinary retention. Uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma.
Severe hepatic impairment: not recommended. Bladder outflow obstruction. Decreased GI motility. Controlled narrow-angle glaucoma. History of QT prolongation. Monitor for CNS effects esp. after initiation or dose increases; consider reducing dose or discontinue if occurs. Renal or hepatic impairment. Exposure to high environmental temperature. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole); see Adult. May be antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers. Avoid drugs known to prolong the QT interval. Additive anticholinergic effects with other anticholinergics.
Dry mouth, constipation, UTI, blurred vision; angioedema (discontinue if occurs), CNS effects (eg, headache, confusion, hallucination, somnolence); rare: anaphylactic reactions.
Hepatic (CYP3A4). 98% protein bound.
Renal (major), fecal (minor).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Impairment May Predict Persistent Psychosis in Ketamine Users
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders