Generic Name and Formulations:
Tretinoin 10mg; soft gelatin caps; contain parabens.
Roche Diagnostics Corp.
Indications for VESANOID:
Induction of remission in patients with acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL), French-American-British (FAB) classification M3 (including the M3 variant), characterized by the presence of the t(15;17) translocation and/or the presence of the PML/RARα gene who are refractory to, or who have relapsed from, anthracycline chemotherapy, or for whom anthracycline-based chemotherapy is contraindicated.
Use only for induction of remission. 45mg/m2 per day in two divided doses until complete remission is documented. Discontinue 30 days after complete remission or after 90 days of treatment, whichever occurs first.
Confirm APL diagnosis. Monitor for Retinoic Acid-APL (RA-APL) syndrome, leukocytosis, pseudotumor cerebri, or respiratory compromise. Consider temporarily interrupting therapy if moderate to severe RA-APL syndrome develops. Monitor blood counts, coagulation profile, lipids, liver function; consider temporary withdrawal if tests >5XULN. Pregnancy (Cat.D); obtain negative pregnancy test 1 week before starting treatment, counsel patient about need to use 2 effective methods of contraception during, and 1 month after therapy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Do not administer with Vitamin A. May be potentiated or antagonized by CYP450 enzyme inducers or inhibitors. Caution with anti-fibrinolytic agents; and other agents known to cause pseudotumor cerebri/intracranial hypertension.
Headache, fever, skin/mucous membrane dryness, bone pain, GI upset, rash, mucositis, pruritus, increased sweating, visual disturbances, alopecia; RA-APL syndrome, leukocytosis, pseudotumor cerebri, hypercholesterolemia/hypertriglyceridemia, others.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder