VERIPRED 20 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Prednisolone (as sodium phosphate) 20mg/5mL; soln; dye- and alcohol-free; grape-flavor.
Indications for VERIPRED 20:
See literature. Individualize. Initially 5–60mg/day.
See literature. Individualize. Initially 0.14–2mg/kg/day in 3–4 divided doses.
Systemic fungal infections. Live vaccines.
May increase risk and mask signs of infection. Tuberculosis. Latent amebiasis. Strongyloides infestation. Ocular herpes simplex. Cerebral malaria. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider prophylaxis with immunoglobulin. Supplement with additional steroids in physiologic stress. Hypertension. Renal insufficiency. CHF. Hypothyroidism. Cirrhosis. Kaposi's sarcoma. Ulcerative colitis if perforation pending. Peptic ulcer. Diverticulitis. Intestinal anastomoses. Myasthenia gravis. Osteoporosis. Diabetes. Avoid abrupt cessation. May cause electrolyte imbalances, adrenocortical insufficiency, psychotic derangements. Use lowest effective dose. Monitor weight, growth, fluid and electrolyte balance, intraocular pressure. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Barbiturates, hydantoins, rifampin, ephedrine, other hepatic enzyme inducers may decrease effects. Potentiated by ketoconazole, estrogens (eg, oral contraceptives). Potentiates and potentiated by cyclosporine. Increased risk of GI effects with aspirin or other NSAIDs. Monitor oral anticoagulants. Excretion of salicylates may be increased. Caution with K+ depleting agents (eg, diuretics, amphotericin-B), digoxin, aspirin in hypoprothrombinemia. Withdraw anticholinesterases at least 24 hours before starting steroids. Adjust antidiabetic agents. May suppress reactions to skin tests.
HPA axis suppression, increased susceptibility to infection, glaucoma, cataracts, secondary infections, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypernatremia, hypertension, CHF, psychic disorders, myopathy, osteoporosis, peptic ulcer, dermal atrophy, increased intracranial pressure, carbohydrate intolerance.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder