VENTOLIN HFA Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Albuterol 90mcg/inh; metered-dose aerosol; contains hydrofluoroalkane; CFC-free.
Indications for VENTOLIN HFA:
Adults and Children:
<4yrs: not established. ≥4yrs: 2 inh every 4–6hrs as needed; 1 inh every 4hrs may suffice. Exercise-induced bronchospasm: 2 inh 15–30 minutes before exercise.
Avoid excessive use. Sensitivity to sympathomimetics. Discontinue if paradoxical bronchospasm, immediate hypersensitivity reactions, or cardiovascular effects occur. Cardiovascular disease (eg, coronary insufficiency, arrhythmias, hypertension). Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Seizure disorders. Reevaluate periodically. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid MAOIs, tricyclics within 14 days (increased cardiovascular effects). Oral sympathomimetics: not recommended. Antagonized by β-blockers. Monitor digoxin. Caution with other drugs that may lower serum potassium (eg, diuretics).
Throat irritation, viral respiratory infections, upper respiratory inflammation, cough, musculoskeletal pain; hypokalemia, paradoxical bronchospasm, cardiovascular effects, hypersensitivity reactions (eg, rash, urticaria, angioedema).
Inhalation aerosol (w. dose counter)—8g (60 inh), 18g (200 inh)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses