Generic Name and Formulations:
Iron (as sucrose) 20mg/mL; soln for IV inj or infusion; preservative-free.
American Regent, Inc.
Indications for VENOFER:
Iron deficiency anemia in chronic kidney disease.
Give by slow IV inj (undiluted) or infusion (diluted). Usual total cumulative dose: 1000mg. Hemodialysis dependent: 100mg slow IV inj over 2–5 mins or infuse 100mg over at least 15 mins per consecutive session. Non-dialysis dependent: 200mg slow IV inj over 2–5 mins on 5 different occasions within a 14-day period; limited experience with IV infusion (see full labeling). Peritoneal dialysis dependent: Two infusions of 300mg over 1.5hrs 14 days apart, then one 400mg infusion over 2.5hrs 14 days later.
Anemia not caused by iron deficiency. Iron overload.
Withhold therapy if tissue iron overload suspected. Monitor hemoglobin, hematocrit, serum ferritin, transferrin saturation; obtain serum iron values 48 hours after dosing. Pregnancy (Cat. B). Nursing mothers.
May reduce absorption of concomitant oral iron preparations.
Hypotension (esp. by IV infusion), hypertension, muscle cramps, GI upset, headache, dizziness, chest pain, graft complications, dysgeusia, pruritus, edema, constipation; rare: hypersensitivity reactions (may be severe).
Single-dose vials (100mg/5mL)—1, 10, 25; 200mg/10mL—1, 5,10
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder