Generic Name and Formulations:
Patiromer 8.4g, 16.8g, 25.2g; per pkt; pwd for oral susp.
Indications for VELTASSA:
Limitations Of use:
Not for emergency treatment for life-threatening hyperkalemia due to its delayed onset of action.
Give at least 3hrs before or 3hrs after other oral medications. Take without regard to food; mix with water. Initially 8.4g once daily. Adjust dose in 8.4g increments as needed at ≥1-week intervals to obtain desired serum potassium target range; max 25.2g/day.
Binding to other oral medications.
Avoid in severe constipation, bowel obstruction or impaction, abnormal post-op bowel motility disorders. Monitor serum potassium, magnesium. Consider magnesium supplementation if low serum levels develop.
May reduce absorption and efficacy of other oral medications; separate dosing by at least 3hrs.
Constipation, hypomagnesemia, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal discomfort, flatulence.
Single-use packets (8.4g)—4, 30; (16.8g, 25.2g)—30
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age