Generic Name and Formulations:
Cholera vaccine, live attenuated (V. cholerae strain CVD 103-HgR); 100mL per single dose; susp for oral administration after reconstitution.
Indications for VAXCHORA:
Immunization against disease caused by Vibrio cholerae serogroup 01 in adults 18–64 years of age traveling to cholera-affected areas.
Limitations Of use:
Efficacy not established in persons living in cholera-affected areas or persons with pre-existing immunity due to previous exposure to V. cholerae or receipt of a cholera vaccine. Not shown to protect against disease caused by V. cholerae serogroup 0139 or other non-01 serogroups.
For oral administration only. Avoid food or drink for 60mins before and after administration. ≥18yrs: Give single oral dose a minimum of 10 days before potential cholera exposure.
<18yrs: not established.
Severe allergic reaction to any previous cholera vaccine.
Immunocompromised. Considering whether to administer to individuals with immunocompromised close contacts. Elderly. Pregnancy.
Avoid use within 14 days of systemic antibiotics. Give vaccine ≥10 days prior to antimalarial prophylaxis with chloroquine. Concomitant immunosuppressive therapy (eg, irradiation, antimetabolites, alkylating agents, cytotoxic drugs, high-dose corticosteroids): may get suboptimal response.
Tiredness, headache, abdominal pain, nausea/vomiting, lack of appetite, diarrhea.
To enroll patients in the pregnancy exposure registry call (800) 533-5899.
Single-dose carton—2 packets (buffer component + active component)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder