Generic Name and Formulations:
Icosapent ethyl 0.5g, 1g; soft gelatin caps.
Amarin Pharma Inc.
Indications for VASCEPA:
Adjunct to diet to reduce triglyceride (TG) levels in adult patients with severe (≥500mg/dL) hypertriglyceridemia. Limitations of use: The effect of Vascepa on the risk for pancreatitis in patients with severe hypertriglyceridemia has not been determined. The effect of Vascepa on cardiovascular mortality and morbidity in patients with severe hypertriglyceridemia has not been determined.
Swallow whole. Do not crush, dissolve, or chew. 4 caps (0.5g) or 2 caps (1g) twice daily with food; maximum 4g per day.
Obtain baseline lipids before initiating therapy. Identify other causes of high triglycerides and manage appropriately (eg, diabetes, hypothyroidism, or alcohol intake). Hepatic impairment; monitor ALT and AST levels periodically during therapy. Fish and/or shellfish allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Monitor periodically with concomitant drugs that affect coagulation (eg, antiplatelet agents).
Hepatic. <99% protein bound.
Caps 0.5g—240; 1g—120
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder