Generic Name and Formulations:
Icosapent ethyl 0.5g, 1g; soft gelatin caps.
Amarin Pharma Inc.
Indications for VASCEPA:
Adjunct to diet to reduce triglyceride (TG) levels in adult patients with severe (≥500mg/dL) hypertriglyceridemia. Limitations of use: The effect of Vascepa on the risk for pancreatitis in patients with severe hypertriglyceridemia has not been determined. The effect of Vascepa on cardiovascular mortality and morbidity in patients with severe hypertriglyceridemia has not been determined.
Swallow whole. Do not crush, dissolve, or chew. 4 caps (0.5g) or 2 caps (1g) twice daily with food; maximum 4g per day.
Obtain baseline lipids before initiating therapy. Identify other causes of high triglycerides and manage appropriately (eg, diabetes, hypothyroidism, or alcohol intake). Hepatic impairment; monitor ALT and AST levels periodically during therapy. Fish and/or shellfish allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Monitor periodically with concomitant drugs that affect coagulation (eg, antiplatelet agents).
Hepatic. <99% protein bound.
Caps 0.5g—240; 1g—120
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed