Generic Name and Formulations:
Varicella virus vaccine live, attenuated (Oka/Merck) (human and guinea pig cell cultures) with 1350 plaque-forming units (PFU) minimum per 0.5mL after reconstitution; for SC inj; lyophilized; preservative-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for VARIVAX:
Varicella (chickenpox) vaccination.
Give SC in deltoid area or anterolateral thigh. ≥13yrs: 1 dose of 0.5mL at elected date and a 2nd dose of 0.5mL at least 4 weeks later.
Give SC in deltoid area or anterolateral thigh. <12 months: not recommended. 12 months–12yrs: 1 dose of 0.5mL. If a 2nd dose is administered, separate by at least 3 months.
See full labeling. Hypersensitivity to gelatin or neomycin. Active febrile infection. Active untreated tuberculosis. Primary or acquired immunodeficiency. Leukemia, lymphoma, or other bone marrow or lymphatic malignancy. HIV/AIDS. Immunosuppressant therapy. During pregnancy (Cat.X) and for 3 months after vaccination.
Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Defer vaccination if family history of congenital or hereditary immunodeficiency until immunocompetent. Avoid contact with susceptible high-risk individuals for up to 6 weeks after vaccination. HIV-infected: see full labeling. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Defer vaccination for at least 5 months after blood or plasma transfusion or immune globulins. Avoid immune globulin administration for 2 months after vaccination. Avoid salicylates in patients (12 months through 17 years of age) for 6 weeks after vaccination. May interfere with tuberculin skin test.
Fever, local reactions, rash; others.
Single-dose vials—1, 10 (w. diluent)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Bipolar Depression Benefits From Midday Bright Light Therapy