Generic Name and Formulations:
Polidocanol 1% (1.3mg/mL); foam for IV inj after activation.
Indications for VARITHENA:
Treatment of incompetent great saphenous veins (GSV), accessory saphenous veins, and visible varicosities of the great saphenous vein system above and below the knee.
See full labeling. For IV inj using ultrasound guidance, administered via a single cannula into the lumen of the target incompetent trunk veins or by direct inj into varicosities. Use up to 5mL per injection and max 15mL per treatment session. Inject foam slowly (approx. 1mL/sec in the GSV and 0.5mL/sec in accessory veins or varicosities). Repeat if necessary; separate treatment sessions by a minimum of 5 days. Apply compression bandaging and stockings and have the patient walk for at least 10mins; monitor. Maintain compression for 2 weeks post-treatment.
Acute thromboembolic disease.
Do not inject intra-arterially. Must be experienced in venous procedures. Monitor for at least 10mins post-inj for anaphylaxis; treat appropriately if occurs. Increased risk of tissue ischemia in peripheral arteriosclerosis or thromboangiitis obliterans (Buerger’s Disease). Monitor for venous thrombosis post-treatment. Increased risk of thrombosis in patients with reduced mobility, history of DVT/PE, major surgery within 3 months, prolonged hospitalization, pregnancy. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Pain/discomfort in extremity, infusion site thrombosis (retained coagulum), injection site hematoma or pain, thrombophlebitis superficial, extravasation; anaphylaxis (may be fatal).
Convenience box—1 (w. canisters, transfer units, administration boxes); Bi-canister—1; Administration pack—1 (transfer unit, components)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder