Generic Name and Formulations:
Hepatitis A vaccine, inactivated 25Units per 0.5mL (pediatric/adolescent), or 50Units per 1mL (adult); susp for IM inj; aluminum adsorbed; preservative-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for VAQTA:
Hepatitis A immunization.
≥19 yrs: 1mL IM at elected date and booster dose (1mL IM) 6–18 months later.
<12 months: not recommended. 1–18 yrs: 0.5mL IM at elected date and booster dose (0.5mL IM) 6–18 months later.
Have epinephrine (1:1000) available. Latex allergy. Inject into deltoid muscle, preferably at least 2 weeks before expected exposure. If given with immune globulin, use separate syringe and different site. Fever. Malignancies. Immunocompromised (may have suboptimal response). Bleeding disorders. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Immunosuppressives may reduce efficacy. Concomitant vaccines, immune globulins: see literature.
Injection site reactions (esp. pain, tenderness), headache, fever, GI upset, myalgia, abdominal pain, rash, pharyngitis and other upper respiratory tract effects.
Prefilled syringes (0.5mL, 1mL)—1, 5; Single-dose vials (0.5mL)—1, 10; Single-dose vials (1mL)—1, 5, 10
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV