Generic Name and Formulations:
Histrelin acetate 50mg; SC implant.
Indications for VANTAS:
Palliative treatment of advanced prostate cancer.
Insert 1 implant SC in the inner aspect of the upper arm. Remove after 12 months; may replace.
Pregnancy (Cat.X). Nursing mothers. Not for use in women or children.
Initial transient increase in serum testosterone may result in worsening signs/symptoms (eg, bone pain, neuropathy, hematuria). Metastatic vertebral lesions, urinary tract obstruction (monitor closely in 1st few weeks). Avoid wetting inserted arm for 24hrs and heavy lifting or strenuous exertion for 1st week. Increased risk of developing diabetes; monitor blood glucose and HbA1c periodically; treat if occurs. Increased risk of developing MI, sudden cardiac death, stroke; monitor for signs/symptoms of cardiovascular disease. May prolong QT/QTc interval in patients with congenital long QT syndrome, CHF, electrolyte abnormalities; monitor ECGs. If electrolyte abnormalities occur, correct and monitor. Measure serum testosterone, PSA levels periodically. Implant not visible on X-ray.
May interfere with pituitary gonadotropic and gonadal function tests. Caution with concomitant drugs known to prolong the QT interval.
Hot flashes, fatigue, implant site reactions, testicular atrophy, renal impairment; hyperglycemia, diabetes, cardiovascular disease.
Kit—1 (w. implant and supplies)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder