Generic Name and Formulations:
Fluocinonide 0.1%; crm.
Medicis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for VANOS:
Do not use for >2 consecutive weeks. Apply thin film 1–2 times daily; max 60g/week.
Do not use superpotent forms on face, groin, or axillae. Exclude viral disease (eg, chickenpox, measles).
Treat infection if present; discontinue if infection persists or worsens. Do not use near eyes, or on diaper dermatitis or pre-existing skin atrophy. Do not use fluorinated steroids longer than 1 week on the face. Avoid abrupt cessation in chronic use. Systemic absorption increased by broken or inflamed skin, prolonged use, application to large surface area, or use of occlusive dressings. Occlude only if necessary; do not occlude higher potency products. Monitor adrenal function in children if a high potency product or occlusion is used, and in adults if more than 50g weekly of a high potency product is used. Discontinue or reduce dose or potency if HPA axis suppression, Cushing's syndrome, hyperglycemia, glucosuria, or irritation occurs. Use lowest effective dose and potency (esp. in children). Use caution if applying to face or body folds. Do not use continuously or for prophylaxis. Foams are flammable. Reevaluate periodically. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Burning, stinging, pruritus, erythema, skin atrophy, striae, miliaria, secondary infections, hypopigmentation, folliculitis, hypertrichosis, acneiform eruptions, dermal cracking and fissuring, telangiectasia, contact dermatitis, other local effects, immunosuppression, masks infections, HPA axis suppression (esp. in children).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder