Generic Name and Formulations:
Vancomycin (as HCl) 125mg, 250mg; caps.
Indications for VANCOCIN:
Enterocolitis due to S. aureus. Antibiotic-associated pseudomembranous colitis due to C. difficile.
≥18yrs: 500mg–2g per day in 3–4 divided doses for 7–10 days. C. difficile-associated diarrhea: 125mg 4 times a day for 10 days.
40mg/kg per day in 3–4 divided doses for 7–10 days; max 2g/day.
Renal insufficiency and/or colitis. Inflammatory bowel disorders. Underlying hearing loss. Monitor hearing, blood, renal function. Consider monitoring vancomycin serum concentrations. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Monitor with aminoglycosides, other neurotoxic, nephrotoxic, or ototoxic drugs.
Nausea, abdominal pain, hypokalemia, drug fever, urticaria, rash (may be serious, eg, Stevens-Johnson syndrome), ototoxicity, nephrotoxicity, eosinophilia, anaphylaxis, superinfection, blood dyscrasias; rare: interstitial nephritis, vertigo.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder