Generic Name and Formulations:
Valrubicin 40mg/mL; soln for intravesical instillation after dilution; contains 50% polyoxyl castor oil/50% dehydrated alcohol; preservative-free.
Indications for VALSTAR:
Intravesical therapy of BCG-refractory carcinoma in situ (CIS) of the urinary bladder in patients for whom immediate cystectomy would be associated with unacceptable morbidity or mortality.
Drain bladder before instilliation. 800mg given intravesically via urethral catheter once weekly for 6 weeks. Retain drug for 2 hours before voiding, then void.
Concurrent UTI. Small bladder capacity (eg, unable to tolerate a 75mL instillation).
Monitor for disease recurrence or progression with cystoscopy, biopsy, and urine cytology every 3 months; if there is not a complete response of CIS to treatment after 3 months or if CIS recurs, cystectomy must be reconsidered. Severe irritable bladder symptoms. Perforated bladder. Bladder mucosa compromised. Delay administration for at least 2 weeks after transurethral resection and/or fulguration. Maintain adequate hydration. Pregnancy (Cat. C); avoid, both males and females should use effective birth control. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Bladder symptoms (eg, urinary frequency, dysuria, urinary urgency, spasm, hematuria, pain, incontinence, cystitis, nocturia, local burning, urethral pain, pelvic pain, UTI).
Single-use vials—4, 24
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder