Generic Name and Formulations:
Estradiol (as hemihydrate) 10mcg; vaginal inserts.
Indications for VAGIFEM:
Atrophic vaginitis due to menopause.
1 insert intravaginally once daily for 2 weeks, then 1 insert twice weekly. Reevaluate periodically.
Undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding. Known, suspected, or history of breast cancer. Known or suspected estrogen-dependent neoplasia. Active DVT, PE, or history of these conditions. Active arterial thromboembolic disease (eg, stroke, MI) or a history of these conditions. Known protein C, protein S, or antithrombin deficiency, or other known thrombophilic disorders. Known liver impairment or disease. Known angioedema. Known or suspected pregnancy (Cat.X).
See full labeling. Endometrial hyperplasia. Gallbladder disease. Do initial complete physical and repeat annually (include BP, mammogram, Pap smear). Severely atrophic vaginal mucosa or other trauma risk. Familial hyperlipoproteinemia. Discontinue if severe hypercalcemia, loss of vision, severe hypertriglyceridemia, or cholestatic jaundice occurs, and at least 4–6 weeks before surgery associated with thromboembolism. Monitor thyroid function. Hereditary angioedema. Nursing mothers.
May be antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, St. John's Wort, phenobarbital, carbamazepine, rifampin). May be potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, erythromycin, clarithromycin, ketoconazole, itraconazole, ritonavir, grapefruit juice).
See full labeling. Upper respiratory tract infection, headache, abdominal pain, back pain, genital pruritus, moniliasis, vulvovaginal mycotic infection, diarrhea; increased risk of gallbladder disease, thromboembolic disorders.
Vaginal inserts—8, 18 (w. applicators)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV