Generic Name and Formulations:
Meropenem, vaborbactam 2g/vial (containing meropenem 1g + vaborbactam 1g); pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution; sodium content 10.9mEq/vial; preservative-free.
Indications for VABOMERE:
Susceptible complicated urinary tract infections (cUTI) including pyelonephritis.
Give by IV infusion over 3hrs. ≥18yrs (eGFR ≥50mL/min/1.73m2): 4g every 8hrs. Renal impairment (eGFR 30–49mL/min/1.73m2): 2g every 8hrs; (eGFR 15–29mL/min/1.73m2): 2g every 12hrs; (eGFR <15mL/min/1.73m2): 1g every 12hrs. Give after hemodialysis session. All: treat for up to 14 days.
<18yrs: not established.
Previous hypersensitivity to penicillins, cephalosporins, other beta-lactams, or other allergens. Discontinue immediately if allergic reaction occurs. CNS disorders (eg, brain lesions, history of seizures). Bacterial meningitis. Renal impairment (thrombocytopenia possible). Reevaluate dose if focal tremors, myoclonus, or seizures occur. Discontinue if C. difficile-associated diarrhea suspected or confirmed. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Concomitant valproic acid or divalproex sodium: not recommended; if use necessary, consider supplemental anticonvulsant. Potentiated by probenecid: not recommended.
Carbapenem + beta-lactamase inhibitor.
Headache, phlebitis/infusion site reactions, diarrhea; serious hypersensitivity reactions, C. difficile-associated diarrhea, possible neuromotor impairment (eg, seizures, delirium, paresthesias), superinfection.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Addressing Depression in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Childhood-Onset Bipolar Disorder Associated With Impaired Family Functioning
- Valproate Use in Women Who Could Become Pregnant: The Argument for Informed Consent
- Review Examines the Effectiveness of Antidepressants for Insomnia
- Ketamine-Induced Dissociative Symptoms Predict Antidepressant Response
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- New APA President Takes Office as the First African-American to Lead the Organization
- "MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy Effective for Treating PTSD in Veterans, First Responders "
- Early Intervention Services Superior to Treatment as Usual for Early-Phase Psychosis
- Depressive Symptoms Predict Future Pain, Disability in Adolescent JIA
- Gender-Related Association Between Physical Activity, Psychological Status in T2D