Generic Name and Formulations:
Methoxsalen 20mcg/mL; sterile soln.
Indications for UVADEX:
Extracorporeal administration with the UVAR Photopheresis System in the palliative treatment of skin manifestations of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma that is unresponsive to other forms of treatment.
Consult UVAR Photopheresis System Operator's Manual before administering. Give on two consecutive days every 4 weeks for minimum of 7 treatment cycles (6 months). 200mcg per photopheresis treatment. Accelerated treatment schedule: see literature.
Idiosyncratic reactions to psoralen compounds. History of light sensitive disease. Lupus erythematosus. Porphyria cutanea tarda. Erythropoietic protoporphyria. Variegate porphyria. Xeroderma pigmentosum. Albinism. Aphakia.
Exposure to sun or UV light may cause actinic degeneration, skin burning, cataracts; wear UVA-absorbing, wrap-around sunglasses and cover exposed skin (or use sunblock: SPF ≥15) for 24hrs after treatment. Basal cell carcinomas (monitor and treat if occur). Pregnancy (Cat.D); nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased photosensitivity with anthralin, coal tar, griseofulvin, phenothiazines, nalidixic acid, halogenated salicylanilides, sulfonamides, tetracyclines, thiazides, organic staining dyes.
Hypotension secondary to changes in extracorporeal volume.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?