URSO FORTE Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Ursodiol 500mg; scored tabs.
Indications for URSO FORTE:
Primary biliary cirrhosis.
Take with food. 13–15mg/kg per day in 2–4 divided doses.
Complete biliary obstruction.
Variceal bleeding, hepatic encephalopathy, ascites, and/or need for an urgent liver transplant: give appropriate specific treatment. Monitor liver function and bilirubin monthly for 3 months after starting therapy, then every 6 months thereafter; consider discontinuing if levels increase significantly with history of stable liver function. Monitor and maintain bile flow. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Reduced absorption with bile acid sequestrants (eg, cholestyramine, colestipol), and aluminum-containing antacids. Estrogens, oral contraceptives, clofibrate, other lipid-lowering drugs may reduce effectiveness of ursodiol by increasing hepatic cholesterol secretion.
Abdominal discomfort or pain, alopecia, diarrhea, nausea, pruritus, rash, leukopenia, elevated creatinine or blood glucose, thrombocytopenia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children